Summer is upon us which means it’s salad season! I’m notorious for preparing meal-size salads for dinner. Salads can be very filling as long as you add some protein. Here is a big list of things to add to your salads to make them a little bit more exciting. I have also included a few of my go-to salad recipes at the end. A rule of thumb when I make salads is to use a variety of colours: eat a rainbow! Orange carrots, yellow peppers, red strawberries, white goat cheese – the options are endless!
- try a new lettuce in your salad: Boston, Bibb, Kale, Spinach, Endive, Radicchio
- add flavour with fresh herbs such as basil or cilantro or mint
- green beans
- berries: strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, blackberry
- mandarin slices
- dried fruit: raisins, cherries, cranberries
- goat cheese – try an herbed goat cheese!
- parmesan or asiago – try shaving into curls or adding small cubes
- Pick up something new at the grocery store!
- seasoned ground beef
- turkey – use leftovers or buy some sliced turkey breast
- ham or bacon
- chick peas or other canned beans
- hard-boiled egg
- nuts – pecan, walnut, almond
- seeds – sunflower, pumpkin
- try a new salad dressing!
- Usually use vinaigrette? Opt for something creamy next time or vice versa.
- Poppyseed dressing
- Oil & vinegar for something simple
- Kraft makes a fantastic new line called Fruit & Veg
- Try making your own! There are so many recipes available.
- Iceberg lettuce with shredded carrots, cucumber chunks, ham (either leftovers or sliced lunch meat), grated sharp cheddar cheese, canned chick peas (rinsed well) and Kraft Three Cheese Ranch Dressing.
- Fresh tomatoes and cucumbers cut into large chunks. Add a large helping of feta cheese and some greek dressing. Olives & red onion optional.
- Baby spinach, strawberries, herbed goat cheese, grilled chicken and pecans with a raspberry or other sweet vinaigrette.
- Caesar with a twist: romaine hearts, grilled chicken, bacon bits (make your own!), sliced almonds, fresh shaved parmesan with a creamy caesar dressing.
- When in doubt, pick up a bag of Eat Smart Sweet Kale Vegetable Salad Kit. Delicious & nutritious!
Andrea can always be found with a new craft in front of her, a form of technology on her right and a coffee on her left. This is how she survives suburbia with her two crazy toddlers in tow.