Lunch With a View
I was treated to the presence of one of my long-time camp friends this week, all the way from Newfoundland. The lovely Ms Cea is one of my friends who has been doing the Hols’ Healthy Habits challenge right along with me. We typically catch up on the phone once every two weeks to weigh in on how we are doing, and feeling. Having a support system to keep you honest is a huge help!
Of course, since we were together, she wanted to explore the mountains in my backyard, and we set off on a few different hikes.
One of my non-healthy habits that when I go out adventuring, I usually don’t make the best choices. I pick gluten-full, fast food that just ends up making me sick and doesn’t necessarily power my body in the way I need for challenging adventures. With packing up all the gear needed to get on the road, short cutting the lunch or dinner for fast food always seems like a necessary evil.
Luckily, Ms Cea is a great adventure partner (and I promised to buy her lunch), so we hit up the Subway before heading up the Jasper SkyTram for the view, and a hike to the summit of Whistlers Mountain. Cea enjoyed a BL (without the T) on Italian Herbs & Cheese, and enjoyed it thoroughly, as there is no restaurants in her small town at all.
Fresh Swap: Salad for My Typical Burger
I swapped out my regular cheeseburger for a turkey & ham spinach salad. I piled on the vegetables, and even topped it with pickles. The pickles were amazing, and with them, I didn’t even miss dressing. We didn’t foray into drinks or do the combination, as we packed veggies and fruit for snacking in the car. All in all, it was a very healthy choice, and I didn’t get gluten-ed.
More Fresh Swaps I’m Trying
- Swapping 1 day of week where I only drink water
- Walking to work to help get more than 10,000 steps a day
- Signing up for upcoming walks, runs & challenges
- Making phone calls to friends while I walk
• To take the SUBWAY® Commit to Fit™ Pledge visit, facebook.com/SUBWAYCanada for your chance to win $10,000 cash plus a $500 SUBWAY® cash card
• The sweepstakes is open between May 1, 2014 and October 31, 2014. The Grand Prize Winner will be announced on or around November 17, 2014
• By simply taking the Pledge, participants are automatically entered for a chance to win
• Additional SUBWAY® $250 cash cards will be awarded monthly to those users who log their fresh swaps and fitness activities
• Once you’ve taken the Pledge you can track your progress by logging your fresh swaps and activities in the three categories: Nutrition, Exercise and Wellness (swapping salty snacks for fresh fruit, taking the stairs instead of the elevator or trying a new fitness class)
Disclosure: I am part of the SUBWAY® Restaurants Commit to Fit™ Blogger Campaign and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.
a passionate recreation coordinator by day, crazy farm mama of two by night. i live outdoors: growing my own food, camping and hiking with my border collie with two active kids in tow. when I’m not writing, I’m experimenting with recipes, and crafts – or anything else that might keep the monkeys entertained.