Mint and chocolate is one of my favourite flavour combinations. A few years ago when I came across a peppermint brownies recipe, I just had to make it. I ate half the pan since they turned out amazing. These peppermint brownies have become a staple in my holiday baking plan and they are always a hit.
Secrets to the Perfect Peppermint Brownies
I have made this recipe enough times now to work out the kinks and learn a couple secrets to make it come together smoothly. Are you ready? I’ve got four simple tips to help you make these peppermint brownies as perfectly as I do each year.
I highly recommend lining the baking pan with parchment paper instead of greasing it. Since you are adding a candy into the batter, it will stick to the pan no matter how well you grease it. The parchment paper allows you to simply lift the peppermint brownies out once they are cool and cut them with ease.
There are pros and cons to using different sizes of Peppermint Patties. The “mini” size typically comes unwrapped and gives a chunkier appearance in the brownie. The “small” size (approx. 1 1/2 inch) need to be chopped up, they come individually wrapped, and they melt more into the brownie so you don’t see them once baked. Depending on your preferences, you can choose the size that is right for you.
I find these brownies always need the full bake time, even taking into consideration that my oven runs hot. I start to check them around the 30 minute mark, just to be safe.
And finally, these freeze great! I have made them well in advance of the holidays and frozen them for about 4 weeks prior to thawing and serving, and they taste as good as they day they are baked.
I first found this recipe in Hersey’s Timeless Treasures Cookbook.
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup butter or margarine melted and divided
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups York Peppermint Patties 8 oz package of mini's, or 16-17 small, coarsely chopped
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Line 13x9x2 inch baking pan with parchment paper, set aside.
- Stir together cocoa powder and baking soda in large bowl; stir in 1/3 cup melted butter. Add boiling water; stir until mixture thickens.
- Stir in sugar, eggs, and remaining melted butter until mixture is smooth.
- Add flour, vanilla, and salt; stir until completely blended together.
- Stir in peppermint patties.
- Pour into prepared pan, and spread evenly.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, or until brownies start to pull away from sides of pan.
- Cool completely in pan on wire rack
- Cut into bars.