Elimination Diet Recipes: Simple Recipes to Keep You Sane
So you got struck with the 2 by 4 that is the Elimination Diet. If your food allergies are weighing you down or your body is super inflamed, you have made the right decision.
But listen, it’s daunting.
My reaction was like I can eat what? What are Job’s tears? No coffee, huhhhhh?!!!
But my final question was the best one (and the only one I said out loud) – do you have any recipes?
My Family: Meat & Potatoes
I am the main chef in our world. With being on the Elimination Diet, I also had to make the meal work for the rest of my family. This usually isn’t challenging. However with Ms P just learning to eat, DH being a meat & potatoes guy and Mr J, well, sometimes not eating it made it harder. The recipes that my naturopath supplied me I felt more ethnic in nature, but I needed to make it work for my family.
Here are the parameters of my Elimination Diet:
- gluten free, yeast free, egg free
- dairy free
- no sugar, except raw honey & maple syrup
- limited fructose, 15-25g a day
- no coffee, alcohol
- no nightshade vegetables (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, peppers)
- no corn or bananas
For me, I was already gluten/yeast/egg free as those sensitives bothered me the most. Of everything else that I avoided, I missed coffee and cheese.
OMG, need elimination diet recipes….what do I eat?
- Quinoa Breakfast Bowl: heat 1 cup quinoa, 1/2 cup berries (frozen or fresh), 1/4 cup nuts, 1 cup non-dairy milk & 2 tbsp of maple syrup
- Apple-Cinnamon Oatmeal: heat 1 cup of gfree oats, 1/2 apple peeled & chopped, 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Add 1 cup of non-dairy milk
- Sweet Turkey Meatballs & Pan-fried Kale: Put 3 tbsp of flaxseed meal with 1.5 tbsp of water mixed in a small bowl aside. mix 1 pkg of ground turkey with 3 green chopped onions, 2 tbsp of maple syrup, 1 cup of gfree oats & flaxseed egg – mix & form balls. Fry in pan with coconut oil or grapeseed oil. When done, throw in kale and fry.
- Chai, Buckwheat & Hemp Cereal, Berries & Dates: 2 tbsp of cereal, 5 mejidool dates and berry of your choice.
- Gfree Pancakes with Fruit: 1 cup Cuisine Soleil 4 grain pancake mix (follow directions on the bag, use flax egg), add berries & real maple syrup
- Rice Cake with Almond Butter: Rice cake, slather in almond butter. Enough said – great for a quick breakfast!
- Quinoa Flakes: Same as Breakfast Bowl just try flakes instead – texture’s like Cream of Wheat.
- Smoothies: Use almond milk, plant based protein powder (VEGA), ice cubes and fruit.
- Extra portion of dinner: Make extras of whatever dinner was – super easy, just reheat.
- Avocado Tuna Salad & Zucchini Noodles: Spiralize zucchini into noodles, put aside. 1 can of tuna, mix with 1 avocado, squeeze of lemon juice, salt/pepper. Add in other veg like radishes, cucumbers, as desired.
- Chicken Bone Broth Soup: Make Easy Crockpot Chicken, throw bones in slow cooker, add enough water to cover. Chop & put in 3 carrots, 2 celery stalks & 1 onion. Simmer on low for 3-4 hours. Use colander to remove everything and drain liquid back into slow cooker. Add in any meat from bones that’s viable. Add in 4 carrots, 3 celery stalks, 2 onions, 2 cups of quinoa cooked or gfree noodle of choice for a simple soup.
- Rice with Broccoli, Zucchini and Avocado
- Vegetable Sushi, or Quinoa Sushi (remove red pepper)
- Bean Salad with Celery, Cucumber & Radishes: 1 can of chickpeas or cannelli beans rinsed, add veggies noted, 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar for dressing
- Spinach Salad with Snap Peas, Green Onion, Cucumber and Olives
- Miso Power Soup with Kale & Vermicelli: 2 cups of gfree chicken broth, mix in 1 tbsp of miso (check your type, some aren’t ok), simmer with 3 leaves of kale for several minutes. Add vermicelli for two minutes then serve.
- Grilled Salmon with Fresh Vegetables: Brush or spray salmon with grapeseed oil, Add 1 pinch of garlic salt, 2 tbsp of dried dill and BBQ. Add fresh vegetables on the side.
- Turkey Burger with Spicy Brussell Sprouts: Recipes from Joyous Health – seriously, go get this book.
- GFree Pasta with Vegetable Marinara Sauce, Turkey Meatballs: See Sweet Turkey Meatballs above, omit maple syrup add 1 tbsp of garlic salt instead.
- Stuffed Portabella Mushroom Caps with Creamy Spinach-Artichoke Dip: Clean mushrooms & brush with grapeseed oil, BBQ then add Dip to middle & grill until slightly melted.
- Steak with a Side of Rice & Vegetables
- Easy Crockpot Chicken with Root Vegetables: We tossed vegetables under the chicken like carrots, parsnips, beets etc. They cooked while the chicken cooked making a super fast dinner.
- Creamy Avocado Pasta: use gfree noodles
- Guacamole with Wrap Chips: take gfree wrap, cut into pie shapes using pizza butter, drizzle grapeseed oil on them & 1 tbsp garlic salt, 1 tbsp onion salt. Broil on HIGH in the oven until browning. Make your own guacamole or check the ingredients of the pre-made ones at your local store.
- Spiced Chickpeas
- Vegetables and No-Dairy Ranch
- Power Balls: So many great recipes, including ones with Almond Pulp
- Chocolate Avocado Pudding
- Dates, Nuts or Make Your Own Trail Mix
- Fizzy Lemon Water: 2 cups of sparking water, 1 lemon sliced, maple syrup to taste, stir & add ice
- Iced Tea: Tassamio Tea Discs are all ok (if you have one), if not make some ice tea by combining in a pitcher: 2 tea bags with 8L+ of water (depending on how you like it), sweeten with maple syrup and chill in the fridge.
- Green Tea with Honey
- Holly’s Green Juice
Need more? Check out my Pinterest board, I’m always adding to it.
Follow The Inspired Home's board Elimination Diet on Pinterest.
I hope this helps inspire you, and gives you a jumping off point for success. You can do it!
a passionate recreation coordinator by day, crazy farm mama of two by night. i live outdoors: growing my own food, camping and hiking with my border collie with two active kids in tow. when I’m not writing, I’m experimenting with recipes, and crafts – or anything else that might keep the monkeys entertained.