St. Patricks Day Cupcakes
If you want something simple to make for a St. Patrick’s Day treat, these cupcakes are much easier than they look. There is no baking from scratch involved. Heck, I don’t even make my own icing! I figure, why mess with a good thing….and that good thing comes in a container on my grocery store shelf. These couldn’t be any easier to make and they are a perfect way to spend and afternoon in the kitchen with your little one.
I stumbled across these delightful festive sprinkles at my local craft store. They are little candies shaped like shamrocks and gold coins! I also picked up a container of green & white nonpareil sprinkles.
Rainbow Pots of Gold
I opted to ice the cupcakes but you could easily let your little one have a turn. Give them a kid-friendly knife or even a rounded cheese knife to spread the icing around. They will probably get it all over their hands but that’s the fun part – licking it off!
If you’re wondering exactly what makes these cupcakes filled with rainbows, the secret is in the confetti cake mix. It’s the easiest way to find a little treasure inside the pot of gold!
These St. Patricks Day Cupcakes are sure to be a big hit. Find a little Luck ‘o the Irish in the form of a sweet treat!
- 1 box rainbow bit/confetti cake mix
- Ingredients per box directions
- 1 container white icing - I prefer creamy vanilla
- Green food colouring
- Festive sprinkles
- muffin cups
- Icing bag & tips (optional - you can always spread with a knife)
- Prepare cupcakes per box directions. Bake & cool completely.
- Scoop your icing into a bowl. Add food colouring and blend until you reach your desired colour. I used about 2/3 of the container and half a bottle of colouring to achieve the green pictured.
- Pour your sprinkles into small bowls for easier access if you prefer.
- Scoop your icing into an icing bag with an open star tip. You can also just scoop into a freezer bag and cut off a small corner. Or just spread the icing with a knife.
- Decorate the cupcakes to your heart's content.
- Store the cupcakes in a plastic container with lid. Take them out a little bit before you want to eat them to soften up. These will keep just fine on the counter but you may find the icing very soft, bordering on runny.
Looking for more great ideas on crafts, activities and food to celebrate St. Patricks Day: check these out.
Looking for a green drink to go with your cupcakes? Check out 17 St Patrick’s Day Drinks.