With the pressure of working full-time, managing a household, growing a business and finding a little outdoor time, I’m usually spent every day. Time for myself is on the list, but let’s face it, I am usually giving my time away to help others instead of filling my own cup.
I spend time every day telling my kids to use their words, but when I get into the this-this-this funk of getting it all done, I forget to use my own. Little things like spreading gratitude is important. Being aware that you don’t have to do it all by yourself and asking a professional cleaning service like www.maidthis.com/denver to help you out is a form of self care, too. Stuff like remembering to tell my husband how I appreciate him getting up at the same time in the morning as me and warming up my car. Taking a time out or a few deep breathes so I can cope with the next day’s challenges has become a priority. I’ve been working on taking a few moments for me in my day.
These moments of self-care have provided me with a lot of well-needed clarity and relaxation. So here’s my favourite ways to sneak in a little self care, but I challenge you to make your own list. We’re all different and what fills your cup might not be the same.
Easy Self Care Ideas
- Curl up with a book. This one doesn’t require much time – just go to your bed about 20 minutes earlier then you usually do. (And let’s face it, you’re tired and probably not getting the 8 hours you need anyway). Curl up with an actual book (not your tablet, phone, etc) and enjoy a familiar favourite or a new pick.
- Try a new product in your shower or bath. Recently, I tried out the new Garnier Whole Blends shampoo & conditioner combination that smells like Green Apples + Green Tea. My hair turned out more soft and moisturized then it usually is in the middle of the Alberta winter. Better yet, it was free of parabens, contained natural extracts and used gentle sulfates. Also, each blend is focused on a unique hair action. So if your hair is frizzy, curly or coloured, there is a Whole Blends for you. (). Want to learn more about Whole Blends? : February 4, 2016 at 7 PM EST!
- Pick a trail. On my lunch when I need a grounding moment, I seek the trees. Even in the urban centres, you are almost always a few steps from a trail. Walk along, and listen to your favourite jams. Not only will this spark your creativity, it also will ground your stress.
- Make a list. This one might not seem that relaxing – but if you have things that keep spinning around in your head, sit down and make a list. Take the list and jot down on the calendar. Stop thinking about it, you’ve scheduled it in and therefore it doesn’t need anymore of your thought today.
- Indulge! Do you have a favourite snack that your kids can hear the bag opening a mile away? Treat yourself to it – and don’t share.
Although this post has been generously sponsored by Garnier Whole Blends, the opinions and language are my own.
a passionate recreation coordinator by day, crazy farm mama of two by night. i live outdoors: growing my own food, camping and hiking with my border collie with two active kids in tow. when I’m not writing, I’m experimenting with recipes, and crafts – or anything else that might keep the monkeys entertained.