Philadelphia Cooking Creme is a relatively new product on the market. It can be found in the refrigerator section of your grocery store near the cream cheese. It is a small tub of thinner cream cheese. Instead of thinning out cream cheese in recipes you would spoon out this already thinned product. It melts much easier than a brick or tub of cream cheese. It comes in five different flavours: Original, Herb & Garlic, Savoury Garlic, Italian Three Cheese and Tomato & Basil. I have used this product in a number of recipes. I tend to use it as an addition to tomato sauce. My husband does not like cream sauces such as Alfredo but he will eat a tomato cream sauce. I’m a big fan of using jarred sauce as a base and then adding to it. Philadelphia Cooking Cream allows me to turn a plan jar of tomato sauce into something creamier and more flavourful.
Official Product Name: Philadelphia Cooking Creme
Price: Typically $2-$5 depending on the store
Product Description: The rich taste and versatility of Original Philly, but easier to melt and spoon. Use it by itself to add a fresh, creamy twist to tried-and-true recipes, or as a base for other flavors and seasonings.
- Available at any major grocery store
- Numerous flavours
- Small tub does not take up a lot of room in your fridge
- Container has a lid to cover up leftover product
- Easy to use – just spoon it out
- Works well in a number of recipes
- It’s a convenience product therefore you pay more for it
- I personally find plain cream cheese boring therefore I am apt to use the flavours; however, aside from plain, all flavours contain garlic
- It’s very creamy. It is just a slightly thinned out version of normal cream cheese.
- In the United States there are many more flavors available than in Canada
- The flavors available in Canada really only lend themselves to Italian cooking
Overall I give this product a positive review. There is always a tub of Cooking Creme in my fridge. I make a lot of Italian food therefore the lack of flavours does not put me off of the product as the available flavours tend to complement my cooking. I mostly use the creme as an addition to my pasta sauces however I have also used it in other dishes such as a sauce for chicken. I have also used the creme on its own as a sauce for pasta. It is very creamy on its own as a sauce but personally that is something I enjoy. I would imagine the Original flavour would complement a creamy soup as well. There are a number of recipes available at Philly Canada. My personal favourite of the flavours is Tomato Basil.
*Please note this review is unsponsored and all opinions are those of the author.
Andrea can always be found with a new craft in front of her, a form of technology on her right and a coffee on her left. This is how she survives suburbia with her two crazy toddlers in tow.