Summer in my mind equates with good old fashioned mess. Squishy wet beach sand between your toes as you prance along without shoes. The tangy sweet smell of sunscreen on warm, tan skin fresh from the lake. Sticky, gooey and delicious campfire s’mores and burnt marshmallows squashed between your finger tips.
Before you head off to the campfire pit, make sure you are protected from the sun with Banana Boat®. I find I don’t pay enough attention to the evening rays of sun, as I do the early morning. With Albertan evenings staying light out until almost 10pm at night, it’s important to put that second layer of sun protection on! Did you know sunscreen does more than protect against sunburns? It also protects against long-term effects that are not always visible, like skin damage and skin cancer. If you happen to burn yourself on the marshmallow stick or through those evening rays, Banana Boat® Aloe After Sun Gel can soothe that sore skin.
This mini-adventure is a fast a favourite at our house because of simplicity for mom, and sticky gooey dessert for the little people. So far, they haven’t been able to sing along to my campfire songs. They will join in though if you sing the Paw Patrol theme song or Jake and the Neverland Pirates.
- Banana Boat® sunscreen (available at Walmart)
- Backyard firepit (old tire rim), check your local municipal fire codes to make sure this is on the up & up.
- Roasting sticks or wire sticks
- Marshmallows (the bigger the better)
- Moist paper towel
Things to consider:
- Which parent is watching how close they get to the fire? Do you have campfire rules?
- If you can’t have a fire in your backyard, do you have a local park where you could with a built-in fire pit?
- Campfire Stories: Spooky? Books you can take out from the library to share outside?
- Campfire Songs: do you know any to share? What songs do your kids love to sing?
- Campfire Planning: Campfires typically start with an opening song (Fire’s burning) and then build up to a crescendo of sound (think busy action songs), and then close with a song that makes you think, or a poem, reading that people will walk away thinking about.
Do you have campfires in your backyard? Where’s your favourite place to roast marshmallows?
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Banana Boat® . The opinions and text are all mine.
a passionate recreation coordinator by day, crazy farm mama of two by night. i live outdoors: growing my own food, camping and hiking with my border collie with two active kids in tow. when I’m not writing, I’m experimenting with recipes, and crafts – or anything else that might keep the monkeys entertained.