S’mores Cookie Bars Recipe
A summertime favourite around my house is making s’mores over the fire-pit in the backyard or while we are camping. We all miss the messy deliciousness that s’mores deliver as the summer days fade into the fall & winter months. When I came across this recipe for S’mores Cookie Bars, I knew it would be an instant hit and it did not disappoint. The first time I made these, they were gobbled up within two days due to their sweet yumminess. Needless to say, they have become a regular treat around the holidays and whenever we get that s’mores craving.
This recipe for S’mores Cookie Bars is quite simple to throw together, especially since you probably already have most of the ingredients in your pantry. The only thing I ever find myself running to the store for is the graham cracker crumbs. That being said, I should probably just buy graham crackers and put my 3 year old to work turning them into crumbs the day before we make these tasty treats.
Tips & Tricks
- Let these cool completely. I typically bake in glass, so these can take 4-5 hours to cool all the way through.
- Cut them IN the pan, which will help them stay together.
- Use a HOT knife to cut these, since the marshmallow gets sticky even when cooled. The hot knife will slice through faster, leaving you with less mess.
S'mores Cookie Bars
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/3 cups mini milk chocolate bars or 5 1.55 oz full size bars
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
Heat oven to 350°F, and grease an 8" square baking pan
Beat butter and sugar until blended
Add egg and vanilla, beat well
Mix together flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, and salt. Add to butter mixture, beat until blended.
Press HALF of dough into prepared pan. Bake 15 minutes
Remove crust from oven.
Sprinkle on mini chocolate bars, or cover with full size, breaking to fit as needed.
Spread marshmallows on top, and then break up remaining dough and drop across top of marshmallows.
Bake 10 to 15 minutes - until lightly browned
Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars.
Recipe NotesThese freeze well; cut first and layer with wax paper in container before freezing