Slow Cooker Shredded Mexican Chicken is one of those family-favourite dishes that can be prepped ahead and popped in the slow cooker to bubble away contently, ready for your return. As winter drags on, I find myself using my slow cooker more. It fills the house with warm aromas and the promise of a delicious dinner.
My favourite part of this recipe is how versatile it is and how far it can stretch: serve it over rice with a side salad the first day then serve it the next night as filling for tacos, enchiladas or burritos. Cook once, eat twice! Recipes that give me leftovers to create the next night’s meal always get a special place in my repertoire. Leftovers are mommy’s little helper!
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 ¼ cups diced yellow onion
- 2 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- ¼ cup apricot jam
- ¾ cups diced green bell pepper
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoons black pepper
- Place all ingredients in your slow cooker except chicken, stir to combine.
- Add chicken to the sauce mixture and stir it to coat chicken evenly.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hrs until you can shred chicken easily with two forks.
- Once shredded, allow chicken to sit for 10 minutes to absorb full flavours.
- Serve over rice or in tortilla shells. Can also be added to burritos or enchiladas.