Peanut Butter Blossoms
For me, there is something irritable about peanut butter cookies of any kind, but especially these Peanut Butter Blossoms. Perhaps it’s my absolute love of peanut butter and its creamy deliciousness. Or the fact that they are such a simple cookie to make from scratch.
We bake frequently in my house, and my 3 year old Allie just loves to help. She is so curious about the measuring and mixing, and how it all comes together. While she doesn’t quite understand the waiting-game we play afterwards while our baked goods are cooling, I usually find having her help to wash dishes is a good way to pass the time.
Spreading The Love
Just recently we made peanut butter cookies for the first time, and Allie fell in love with them. This did not surprise me one bit, given that she shares my love of peanut butter. She often asks for a spoon of PB as a snack in the evenings.
This recipe for Peanut Butter Blossoms had Allie pretty excited from the get-go, since there is a photo opposite to the recipe in the cookbook. When she saw the chocolates in the photo, she could hardly wait for me to get them out of the cupboard, mainly so that she could sneak one or two when I wasn’t looking.
Tips & Tricks
- First of all, I like to chill my dough for a little while before rolling into balls, they hold their shape better and don’t get so sticky. I find 10-15 minutes does the trick.
- These cookies tend to be done at the 8 minute mark for me (my oven runs hot), I watch the bottom edge, and as soon as it starts showing a brown line against the pan they are done.
- Finally, freezing … given the chocolates coming out of the top, they are a bit precarious to later for freezing but it can be done and they come out of the freezer great.
- So if you do freeze them, when it comes times to thaw, I recommend moving them out of the container to a cooling rack so the chocolates keep their shape better
Bake & Enjoy
Peanut Butter Blossoms
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Granulated sugar for rolling
- Hershey's Kisses
- Heat oven to 375F
- Unwrap chocolates and set aside
- Beat together shortening and peanut butter, on medium speed until well blended
- Add in both sugars, beat until fluffy
- Add in egg, milk, and vanilla, beat well
- Stir together flour, baking soda, and salt; gradually beat into wet mixture
- Shape dough into 1" balls
- Roll in granulated sugar, place on uncreased baking sheet
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned
- Immediately press 1 chocolate into the centre of each cookie (while still on pan), edges will crack
- Move them to wire rack to cool