Next to slow cooker meals, casseroles are my favourite weekday meal.
They don’t need too much prep and once they are in the oven, just set the timer and relax until dinner is ready.
Another thing I love about casseroles is that you can fit all the food groups into one dish!
Take this Cheeseburger Noodle Casserole for example.
Extra lean ground beef and no yolk egg noodles are packed with protein. Tomatoes, mushrooms, onions and pepper provide a serving or two of vegetables, while the cheese provides a bit of dairy.
A healthy dinner on the table in under an hour with only 20 minutes of hands on time is my kind of weekday meal!
Oh, and did I mention that it is delicious!!
Cheeseburger Noodle Casserole
- 1 - 10 oz pkg egg noodles
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 pound ground beef chicken or turkery
- 1 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 small bell pepper
- 1 20 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/4 cups grated cheddar medium or old
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Boil noodles according to package directions
- While noodles are boiling, brown the ground meat with onion, celery and mushrooms
- Add tomatoes and bell pepper and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Drain pasta and add to meat and vegetable mixture
- Transfer to a large casserole dish or 9 x 13 pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese and return to the oven until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.